Pages

Monday, October 3, 2022

1962


by dog e relaford



the day is cool
except when it is hot
people are friendly
except when they are not

the truth is true
except when it is wrong
i walk down the road
singing my little song

nobody listens
or joins in my tune
the sun is setting
it will all be over soon

i had an old dog
his name was blue
he has been gone a long time
but his heart was true

i loved a girl named nancy
her smile was oh so bright
she never knew i existed
but that was all right

i joined the communist party
in 1933
that is a secret
between you and me

i formed a secret brotherhood
in 1946
i only told three people
but did not teach them my tricks

i thought that i would rule the world
by 1962
i had a wonderful speech prepared
but my plans all fell through

i got on a greyhound bus
and went back to my little town
but nancy had five children
with the mayor, solomon brown

dreams can sometimes not come true
take if from one who knows
but the sun comes up in the morning
and the peaceful river flows

if i could go back and change the world
what would i change it to?
i would leave the night to be black
and the day to be blue


No comments: