Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

what a strange house i live in!

by nooshin azadi

illustration by rhoda penmarq





.

what a strange house i live in!

i hear knocks at the door
but no one shows up
when i open it

the telephone rings
but nobody is on the line
when i answer it

i find my mailbox crammed with letters
but all are signed anonymous

my neighbors wave at me
but never talk to me
and when i wave back
they rush into their houses
and lock the door

no vehicles or pedestrians travel
along the road in front on my house
but all through the night
i hear cars honking
bicycles ringing
and people shouting

one of these days i will pack
and leave this strange house
to live in another place
even i may choose
to reside in a lonely cave
all by myself

loneliness is better than living with ghosts
silence better than senseless noise

.







2 comments:

Dan Leo said...

Excellent and beautiful, both words and illustration.

Peter Greene said...

I'm actually all for senseless (hard to spell that sh&t!) noise. I have some on the crappy little house stereo now.