Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2022

country road


by dog e relaford




i wrote this poem last night
i hope it is all right
the angels were white
the horizon was out of sight

the devils were blue
but our hearts were bright and new
we were arranged in perfect order
the archangel michael turned on his recorder

the trumpets sounded
the hell hounds bounded
the sky turned red
and everybody was dead

except me
suddenly i was free
to go anywhere i pleased
i floated on the breeze

what now, i thought
i heard a shot
my head started to explode
i landed on a country road

i saw a cow eating grass
time passed
it started to rain
i felt the cow’s pain

a truck drove by
filled with chicken nuggets and apple pie
it blasted its horn
like the day i was born

i awoke with a start
and switched on my heart
my brain was slow to respond
and my wallet was gone


No comments: