Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

freedom on the corner


by dog e relaford



willie had a boo-boo
johnny had a kangaroo
they partied hearty with big artie
because that is what they were born to do

my daddy was a railroad man
my mama was a giant squid
you can try to hide forever
but i know what you did

genghis stood on the corner
and said to omar khayyam
all i wanted was to be free
but you do not know who i am

all i wanted was to be free
and live my life untrammeled
won’t you buy this set of dishes
made of the finest enamel

i wish i had a little dog
who came when it was called
my uncle joe wore red bow ties
and my uncle bob was bald

i went downtown to see the show
but it was all sold out
a band of angels surrounded me
and gave a mighty shout

now you know how it all started
and why i live in a tree
the world was there for the taking
but you were not nice to me

sally had an aardvark
who liked sandwiches of cheese
one night there was an earthquake
and he was gone like a cool breeze


No comments: