Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2022

grand finale


by dog e relaford



i woke up this morning
with nothing to do
and nowhere to go
though the sky was bright and blue

i wrote a letter
to no one in particulous
my brain is dead
and my story is ridiculous

my story has no beginning
and my poem does not scan
my mom was a donut
and my dad was a coffee drinking man

my grandma was a jar of peanuts
and my grandpa a loaf of bread
i could ask them how the world began
or if they are really dead

it might rain this afternoon
or maybe the world will end
i could look it up on google
if google would only be my friend

i sit here in this little room
like blackbeard on the bounding main
but the mail will arrive at noontime
so i can not complain

it might have a check for a billion dollars
or a catalogue for seeds
or an invitation to a royal wedding
that would be all i need

do you live in a little room
are you just like me?
do you enjoy your captivity
or do you yearn to be free?

maybe you live in a palace
a palace with palatial grounds
if you invite me to dinner
i promise i won’t make a sound



No comments: