Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

roll


by horace p sternwall




if i could grow a garden
if i could throw a stone
i would fly to the planet jupiter
and live there all alone

i would watch the planets cross the sky
and earthquakes sing and dance
i would write the sun a letter
and give the moon a second chance

i have a postcard in my pocket
but no change to buy a stamp
i think i will mail it anyway
while the weather is still damp

i will send it to the king of spain
who has never let me down
i asked him for a city
and he gave me a whole town

george washington told me, son
always draw to ace joker
they will let you ride in the club car
but not in the smoker

i met st peter in the park
with a pigeon on his head
he said, i like the sandwich
but do not care for the bread

i walked along the river
until i came to an old oak tree
abe lincoln sat beneath it
asking, what will become of me

my old dog blue is calling me
across the purple plain
i am ready to roll on the red eye
as soon as i pack my brain




No comments: