Pages

Friday, May 31, 2019

the petitioners, part 2


by horace p sternwall

part two of three

to read part one, click here





“i was born for love,” the woman with the feather in her hat began, “and i have remained true to my soul and my path all my life.

my mother was a hard working woman. she worked in a dress shop where she sewed clothes for high and mighty women who never lifted a finger to do anything for themselves their whole lives long.

there were a lot of us kids. the boys ran wild, and mama was always glad to see them go, to jail, to the factory across the river, or just down the long dusty road to nowhere.


mama used to tell us girls, don’t believe all you hear about love. in fact, don’t believe anything you hear about love. the world is a jungle, she would say, and men are beasts, but women can be beasts too, they just have to be a little more patient and pick their spots. men are beasts, and you have to wear them down and stare them down, and trick them and track them and nail them to the wall.

but the more mama talked, the less i was having any of it. love made the world go round, in my humble opinion, and i knew in my heart that some day my prince would come, that somewhere among the million slobs and monsters was the perfect gentleman who would speak to my heart and be true to me forever.

the day came when i was all grown up and had not met my true love and i had to make my own way in the world. i had a girl friend named bella and we decided to help other girls find love and we borrowed some money and we set up a counseling service to help both girls and guys find love. we were successful at first and the money came rolling in and me and bella were so proud of ourselves for helping people and giving back to the community.

but sad to say, though we were so adept at finding love for ordinary folks like you might see at a bus station or a ball game or a picnic in the woods, i myself, with my insatiable and uniquely beautiful soul, was not able to find the man of my dreams, or anybody who even looked like him if you saw him striding forth from a distant horizon.


there was one time - one time, when i thought - i can not bring myself to speak of it now, but when the dust has settled and the chips have fallen where they may and rolled away into the dark corners of fate, perhaps then the tale can be told. i prefer not to dwell on it now.”

“that might be best,” the man behind the desk agreed.

"but recently," the woman with the feather in her hat resumed, "times have been tough and me and bella might have made a few mistakes and you know how it is, and if you read the papers, mr grover, or listen to the nightly news you may have heard some of the lies spread about us.”

“excuse me. can i ask you a question?”

“of course.”

“have you ever considered doing an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay?”

“why - i consider helping to spread love to be honest work. the most honest work there is. and the most fulfilling.”

“to be sure. well, we will consider your appliication. and let you know.”

“thank you so much,” the woman with the feather in her hat smiled and stood up and left.

the man behind the desk rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock on the wall.

one more, he thought.


part 3


No comments: