Pages

Sunday, August 2, 2020

my kingdom


by nick nelson





i went to the beach
because I lost my best friend
and searched the horizon
which did not seem to end

my friend gave me a kingdom
to call my very own
with an army and a navy
and a golden throne

and personal bodyguards
dressed in style
and a private beach
that stretched for miles

tall buildings filled with bureaucrats
all dressed the same
and mobs beneath my balcony
cheering my name

he gave me these things
because he was my friend
but a demon appeared
and this message did send

beware of false gifts
and do not count your wealth
truth is a serpent
and is bad for your health

i thought of the good times
but not for long
betrayal and oppression
are the themes of my song

the sun went down
the waves faded away
the way that they do
at the end of the day

I walked down the hallway
and stood at the door
my friend was inside
I heard him fall on the floor

I hurried inside
and there he lay dead
a message was written
upon his bald head

beware of the sneagle
that flups in the broove
you will plead with the judges
but they will not be moved

i opened the window
and climbed down the tree
the hounds of unmercy
were howling for me

in all the confusion
i somehow escaped
wearing sherlock holmes’s hat
and dracula’s cape

now i sit by the seashore
with an empty glass
the clouds roll by
but the storm will not pass

somewhere folks drink coffee
and somewhere folks drink tea
somewhere the sun is shining
but not on me

if you want my story
to come to its end
tell any gendarmes who ask you
you were never my friend




No comments: