Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2021

poem - deep inside


by dog e relaford




why doesn’t everybody love me?
i am not a bad fellow
my shirts are white or pink or blue
my ties are red or yellow

my shoes are brown or black
my manner is sincere
i do not step on people’s feet
and pay my taxes every year

you who sit in cafe windows
and laugh as i walk by
so mocking and superior
so knowing and so sly

would it knock your organic socks off
and your ecofriendly sandals too
if i said that deep inside
i was really just like you

you can order wokeness by the spoonful
and enlightenment by the pound
but ordinary guys like me
make this world go round

i work for a soulless corporation
that insures the mighty ships
that carry the hundred brands of coffee
which you thoughtfully sip

that is just how it is
so i do not mean to complain
and keep a smile on my face
as i walk through the wind and rain

although i speak the truth
because my heart is true
what i really want deep inside
is just to be just like you



No comments: