Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2022

brothers


by horace p sternwall



i never belonged to a band of brothers
or had any significant other
i was born behind the graveyard in a wooden shack
and nobody called me buddy or mac

every night when the sun went down
i shut my shack and went to town
i bent my back and searched the ground
for anything that might be found

the road was my brother, and my friend
it went to town and back again
it taught me everything i knew
and some of it was mostly true

sister moon shone through the trees
wolves and foxes winked at me
the frogs and toads croaked their sad songs
as i trudged wearily along

i had an enemy, sheriff john brown
who wished i would fall in the river and drown
i wished that he would do the same
but. to him it was just a game

in the moonlight, white and pale
i see him in the window of the jail
with his boots up on his desk
never letting poor folks rest

now john is gone, and so am i
dark clouds float across the sky
lightning flashes occasionally
the river flows, and we both are free



No comments: