Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

culture war blues


by timothy t jones




i don’t want to bake cookies like a woman
i don’t want to hunt moose like a man
i don’t want to catch fish like a polar bear
i just want to be who i am

i don’t want to make billions on wall street
or live in a commune in a tree
i don’t want to be a squid or an octopus
i just want to be me

i don’t want to go on tik tok
and convert the world to my views
don’t want to hold a sign at a rally
i don’t want to watch the news

i don’t want to wear a suit and tie
or a uniform of blue
i just want to collect my welfare check
and do what i have to do

if i can’t be brad pitt or tom brady
i would settle for being bill gates
or just an ordinary billionaire
but such is not my fate

i don’t want to get up in the morning
though the system tells me i must
i would rather sit by the side of the road
and talk to the bugs in the dust

they ask me all these stupid questions
that don’’t do me any good
i can’t fly away on a rocket to the moon
but every day i wish i could



No comments: