Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2020

opportunity


by horace p sternwall




i thought i heard sheriff john brown say
this is quality stuff
and he had been around a long time
and knew when enough was enough

and so i could not believe my ears
when he commended me thus
and felt as if i were struck by lightning
or hit by a greyhound bus

but then i looked around
and to my dismay found
he was talking to sad sam smith
who had come in the door with


all the creatures i had known
in my years all alone
on the mountaintop
before it all came to a stop

i thought i heard sam smith say
as they led me away
they gave him every opportunity
is it our fault he didn’t want to be free?

and shirley the waitress said
he should have stayed in bed
whenever you walk out the door
the lions and the oceans roar




No comments: