Pages

Monday, November 16, 2020

poem 15


by dog e relaford

for previous poem, click here

to begin series, click here



i woke up this morning with a song in my head
was it the song of the lark or the dance of the dead
i put on my shoes and ran down the lane
i stepped on a leaf and it started to rain

i passed a cow that looked sadder than me
i passed a kitten stuck in a tree
i passed a hay wagon on its way to town
but i didn’t let anything get me down

was i asleep or was i awake?
at last i came to the old lake
on its shore old sidney lay curled
he was the oldest snake in the world

i asked him the news and he gave me the news
the news he gave me made me shake in my shoes
the results were in and they were not good
and i ran away as fast as i could

i ran to the city and got lost in the crowd
i dare not speak my secret out loud
the day is at hand and none are prepared
the day is at hand and they are not even scared


next poem



No comments: