Pages

Friday, November 27, 2020

poem 26


by dog e relaford

for previous poem, click here

to begin series, click here



i went down to the river
to see the gypsy baker
to buy a jelly doughnut
before i met my maker

i went to the mountain
to see the candyman
i was no expert cardiologst
i was only a handy man

i crossed the burning desert
to see the boddhisatva
i asked him for his wisdom
and he only said ha ha ha

i put my thumb out on the highway
and was picked up by old joe
i asked him where was mercy found
and he said, how do i know?

i went down to the dockyard
to sail the seven seas
i asked the captain for a message
but forgot to say please

i went down to the corner
to bet on the last race
i put two dollars on armageddon
and judas laughed in my face

all these saints and sages
could not give me the time of day
i scan the ground for dimes and nickels
as i go my own way


next poem




No comments: