Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

eden


by horace p sternwall



i dreamed i was back in the garden of eden
eating apples and smiting the heathen
eve had a basket of bananas on her head
adam was weeping because his dog was dead

little moses was sitting in a tree
just seeing what he could see
adam, he said to the first man
don’t you know there is a master plan?

your dog - what was his name again?
was a beast of burden and a child of sin
but now he is happy in heaven above
running through fields of eternal love

he was no burden to me, quoth adam
i was always quite happy to have him
he had an opinion on everyhing
and his happy bark made my heart sing

my friend, said little moses
life is no bed of roses
but a series of desperate poses
punctuated by punches on the noses

quoth adam, your attempts at wit
do not affect me one bit
the message to the cosmos you send
has no beginning and no end

little moses affected to yawn
and suddenly he was gone
the branch of the tree was bare
because he was no longer there

i awoke from my dream in the dark
and heard my bulldog bark
i put my shoes on my feet
and went outside in the street

i had my hat on my head
because i am always well bred
i had a face and a name
and was ready to play the game

i had everything i possessed
in a pocket in my checkered vest
i wanted to wager it all
but the dog only wanted to chase a ball



No comments: