Pages

Monday, July 5, 2021

blue


by nick nelson



i have been alive for two billion seconds
and have thought two billion thoughts
i always thought that i was real
but maybe i was not

i had two trillion sentiments
in the salad of my brain
now they all have disappeared
but may come back again

i saw a dragon waiting
outside the jailhouse entrance
he wanted to be let back in
but he had served his sentence

i saw my old dog blue
standing outside city hall
he offered me a pamphlet
and i threw him a tennis ball

what good times we had together
on the cote d’azur in spring
when the air was filled with breezes
and the butterflies spread their wings

i still have the faded menu
from our last dinner in rome
now blue has no more butterflies
and i am far from home

the bus is waiting at the gate
i have my ticket in my hand
i wish i had the golden dream
that we buried in the sand



No comments: