Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2021

fate: a prelude


by anonymous



i was born in a time and place
with a name and with a face
i was from the north or south
a silver spoon was in my mouth

my father was a senator
i never knew what he stood for
my mother was a gracious belle
and she had a tale to tell

a privileged offspring, i was blessed
with an accomplished governess
who taught me to behave myself
and to take books from a shelf

perhaps my story sounds familiar
your very own might be quite similar
but a strange fate intervened
and i was not all i seemed

on a wild and stormy night
a sombre gentleman did alight
from a limousine in the drive
the butler announced he had arrived

he had with him a document
whose unfortunate contents sent
shivers down my mother’s spine
she called the maid to bring her wine

it seemed our life was but a lie
and on the morrow we must fly
from the home in which our ancestors
had forged fortunes and settled scores

so young, i barely comprehended
what the future bleak portended
and thought it rather an adventure
when the so-called world i entered

what i did not realize
was how few people win a prize
fate did not smile, or laugh, or call
it did not notice me at all

sitting in my little room
perhaps my tale i will resume
if by some quirk of destiny
some star will finally shine on me

until then - adieu!
i have much to do
to earn a nickel or a dime
to buy from oblivion some time




No comments: