Pages

Saturday, April 29, 2023

the strange man


by nick nelson



strange man, why do you stand in the shadows?

i stand in the shadows to hide my face.

you can not hide your face. the department of recognition has your face on file.

to hide my memories.

you can not hide your memories. the department of cognition can discover them if ever they feel inclined.

to hide my past.

the department of history controls the past.

to hide my dreams.

do not make me laugh.

to hide from my friends.

you have no friends of your own. all citizens, all departments. and all heads of departments are your friends.

to hide my ambition.

ambition has been outlawed, the department of justice is alert to any outbreaks.

to hide my despair.

i am from the department of despair. come with me.


No comments: