Pages

Monday, April 17, 2023

county fair


by dog e relaford




dreamed i went to the county fair
where everyone laughed and nobody cared
whether i was happy or sad
beautiful or ugly, good or bad

nobody cared if i was rich or poor
slept in the street or behind a golden door
nobody cared if i starved to death
or inhaled a cheeseburger with every breath

nobody cared if i could dance or sing
did not know my own name or knew everything
nobody cared if i was the belle of the ball
nobody looked at me at all

i wandered through the happy mob
just another anonymous slob
ready for some serious fun
because i was as good as anyone

i chanced upon a little booth
labelled secrets of eternal truth
or was it secrets of eternal doom?
the booth became a motel room

i was lying on the bed
with my brain inside my head
the walls were yellow, the rug was gray
was it night, or was it day?

was i alive, or was i dead?
was i frank, or was i fred?
was i the president of the united states?
was i the master of my fate?

the room was real and i was me
but all i want is to be free
when will it ever be my turn
because some people never learn



No comments: