Pages

Monday, April 19, 2021

the inhabitant


by dog e relaford



do i remember
how things used to be?
no, not really
i have always just been me

i sit in a room
on the wall is a screen
i press a button
and observe the scene

a lone horseman
rides the range
his hat is pulled low
and his smile is strange

he is as free as a bird
and as crafty as a fox
snakes and bandits
hide behind rocks

a town on the horizon
is waiting for him
ruled by a cattleman
named big jim

the stranger has destiny
on his side
the horse and big jim
are along for the ride

so is the town
and so is the sky
so is my room
and so am i

the red light blinks
my protein is ready
my water glass fills
the air pressure is steady

the stranger rides out of town
it is time for the game
if my team does not win
i will know who to blame



No comments: