Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2021

my baby left me


by genghis gilgamesh



when my baby left me
time came to a stop
all the countries i conquered rebelled
all my plays on broadway flopped

no one returned my calls
my postcards came back unread
everyone i stopped on the street
said, hey i thought you were dead

i looked at the statues in the park
but mine had been taken down
and the pigeons who loved me so much
had all left town

where are the burgers of yesteryear
the fries so golden and crisp?
is fame only a dream?
is life a will of the wisp?

you ask for answers
and they tell you to click on “like”
you ask if you can sleep on the sidewalk
and they tell you to take a hike

long ago and far away
george washington was president
and he sat all day in a cherry tree
and the branches were never bent

abe lincoln ascended to heaven
wearing a top hat ten feet tall
now i wander the earth in the rain
looking for my tennis ball

my baby left me
and the world can’t be far behind
i thought everybody loved me
how could i have been so blind



No comments: