Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2021

the accused


by nick nelson



doctor, doctor, i’m in trouble
my brain is bursting like a bubble
i fall into a black whirlpool
where green snakes hiss and red wolves drool

everyone i ever thought
was my friend is really not
all my life i have been blind
to the portents and the signs

the winks and giggles and little coughs
that should have set my buzzers off
the laughter floating down the breeze
that should have brought me to my knees

at the company get together
the chairman noted the lovely weather
the sun was shining, then how quickly
the eyes turned cold, the smiles turned sickly

do i deserve such obloquy?
i only wanted to be me
must i on the wheel be broke?
i was only making a little joke

a blameless life - and then one slip!
now i am tied to a sinking ship
on a leaky raft i am set adrift
one more wayward breeze - then pffft!

what is that, you want details?
i am sorry but my courage fails
some things, doctor, are best unknown
i ascend the gallows steps alone

ah, now, i feel new resolution
confession is the only solution
how could i ever doubt my guilt?
the machine is silent - the sign says “tilt"



No comments: