Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

the poet


by alexander gray

alexander gray writes poems about poetry , about what it means to be a poet, and poems about other, mostly famous, poets



the poet walks along the shore
and listens to the ocean’s roar
bankers and generals mind the store
but only the poet knows the score

the little town in slumber lies
beneath the pale moon’s drooping eyes
across the weary lightening skies
a solitary black bird cries

i was a banker long ago
there was nothing that i did not know
about profits, stocks, and deeds
and other things nobody needs

> i saw a message on a wall
written in a scraggly scrawl
predicting civilization’s fall
and i thought, yes, that says it all

i took to the open road
eager to practice my new code
of beauty truth and ecstasy
but nobody slowed down for me

but i care not - the sun will shine
on me and on my bottle of wine
if you haven’t got a quarter, give me a dime
if you haven’t a dime, the treat is mine



No comments: