Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2024

a billion dollars


by nick nelson



early in the morning
just about the break of day
i’ll take a billion dollars out of the bank
and be on my way

i will head for the interstate
and stick out my thumb
with a billion dollars in my pocket
i will be a happy bum

a pretty girl will pick me up
a redhead or a blonde
she’ll ask, where you headed, buddy?
i will say, to hell and beyond

she will laugh appreciatively
with teeth so pearly white
she’ll say, don’’t worry big boy
i will get you there tonight

we will head on own the highway
in the wind and sun and rain
i have had this dream a million times
and am having it again

she will say, we have to make a stop
to pick my brother up
you may be in a hurry
but deal with it, buttercup

at a deserted crossroads
a filling station looms
no light is lit within it
in the rain and in the gloom

suddenly it hits me
like a ton of gold bricks
the blonde, the brother, and the night -
i am hip to all their tricks

my billion dollars will not save me
nor will the picture of my dog
i wish i was in monte carlo
or sleeping in a hollow log

i have had this dream a million times
because my heart is true
everybody has their dream
how about you?



No comments: