Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

miss turner

by nick nelson



how quietly they forget.

the window was open so i peeked in.

a little girl and a dog were sitting lackadaisically in front of a fireplace.

but miss turner was nowhere to be seen.

according to all my calculations, she should have been there.

to cut to the chase, i hated miss turner.

i remembered all too well how she had done me wrong.

now she was respectable, oh so respectable.

it all began on a rainy day.

i had gotten wet, and only wanted to get dry.

i was not deliberately setting out to be a jerk.

i had no fond expectations - i only wanted to get out of the rain.

you have to believe me.

i had no bad intentions - but i perceive that you think i am protesting too much.

miss turner was no paragon of beauty or style.

but she was born, like me, under a bad sign.

yes, i know what the world thinks of me.

but i can never forget the look in miss turner’s eyes when she first turned them on me.

like i was just about the most ridiculous thing she had ever seen.

she never gave me a chance to explain myself.

if you could know for one minute all i have been through because of her.

i lost everything.

but did she care? did the jury care? do you care?



No comments: